Schedule of Guided Walks
3rd April - 28th April: Wednesdays and Sundays (except Easter Sunday, 21st)
5th May - 26th May: Sundays
5th June – 27th October: Wednesdays and Sundays
Meet at the Museum 2.15 for 2.30pm start. Walks last 1 - 2 hours.
Cost £3 adults - £1 children (10 – 17 yrs.)
Walking is mostly on even surfaces with one steep hill to the Harbour.
We are justly proud of Crail’s heritage and would be glad to tell you more about the history which surrounds us.
Crail is the most easterly of the Royal Burghs in the East Neuk of Fife and also the oldest. Mention is made of the Burgh in ancient documents dating back to the 12C with the first Royal Charter for which there is documentary evidence granted by Robert the Bruce and signed at Stirling Castle in 1310.
Crail is now principally a fishing village specialising in crab and lobster as well as an attractive holiday resort, but in the 18C it was noted for its fishing of salt herring and it’s produce of Crail Capons (Haddock dried in the sun or smoked in a chimney). During the 18C as many as 200 ships could be fishing from Crail Harbour.
If you would like to explore Crail and learn more of the Burgh’s long history including:
the famous Weavers of Crail, one of whom, Thomas Kingo, emigrated to Denmark to weave tapestries for the Kronberg Palace, Elsinor and whose grandson became Bishop Kingo of Fyen. The marriage lintel of his house in Marketgate is still there today with a date of 1759
the history of Crail Church where John Knox preached during the Reformation
our very own Dead House protecting bodies from grave robbers during the time of Burke and Hare
the newly restored 16C Doocot
Maggie Ingles – Crail’s very own witch
then join one of our Guided Walks. These run on a Sunday, during the summer, meeting at the Museum 2:15 for a 2:30pm start and last 1 – 2 hours. Walking is mostly on even surfaces with one steep hill to the Harbour. Cost £3 adults - £1 children (10 – 17 yrs.)